The Washington State Board of Registered Sanitarians was established in 1982 as an independent organization to serve the needs of environmental health practitioners in Washington State.
Copies of the NEHA REHS/RS Study Guide may be obtained on loan from the WSBRS. Contact the Executive Secretary for more information.
A person may apply to the Board of Directors for registration under this chapter on forms provided by the Directors for that purpose. The Directors shall carefully evaluate the evidence submitted and shall certify any applicant meeting the following minimum requirements.
- Graduation with at least a Bachelor's Degree in Environmental Health from an accredited college or university and employment as a sanitarian in the field of Environmental Health for a period of one year.
Graduation with at least a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum of 45 quarter hours or 30 semester hours, earned in basic science courses listed below and employment as a sanitarian in the field of Environmental Health for a period of one year.
Basic Science Course ListPhysics
Bacteriology Biochemistry Civil Engineering Environmental Engineering Toxicology
Other courses not found on this list will be considered for approval by the board on an individual case basis. It is the applicant's responsibility to provide sufficient information regarding specific course content. Remedial or college preparatory level classes will not be approved.
- Sanitarian-In-Training: An applicant for registration as a Registered Sanitarian who has satisfied the educational requirements specified above, but lacks the corresponding work experience, shall, upon successful completion of the registration examination, be registered as a Sanitarian-In-Training. Upon completion of the required work experience, the status of Sanitarian-In-Training shall be changed to Registered Sanitarian.
Step 2. Apply for Examination
Once applicants meet the requirements of Step 1, they must submit the following via mail to WSBRS, PO Box 384, Snohomish, WA 98291.
- A completed Application Form with notarized signature.
- Examination fees as outlined on the Exam Application Form.
- Official transcripts of record directly from all colleges or universities attended.
- Verification of length of employment. This can be a letter from human resources, a statement from a co-worker, or a pay stub showing date of hire (personal information may be deleted).
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from currently Registered Sanitarians.
Applicants for re-examination need not submit new application, but must submit a re-exam form and pay the appropriate exam fee.
Applicants must meet the requirements outlined in Step 1, be currently registered in another state or national organization and submit the following via mail to WSBRS, PO Box 384, Snohomish, WA 98291.
- Completed Application Form with notarized signature.
- Verification of registration from the state in which you are currently licensed
- Application fees as outlined on the Application Form.
- Official transcript of record directly from any colleges or universities attended.
- Verification of employment.
- Two letters of recommendation from currently registered sanitarians.
Reciprocity is granted on an individual basis. The examination requirements will be waived for those applicants who have been registered in a state where at the time of registration, the requirements were equivalent to those of the Washington State Board of Registered Sanitarians. More detailed information regarding the Reciprocity Policies can be found in the WSBRS Bylaws.
Documents & Links: